The Governor's Race 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Governor's Race 2006

In today's Star Bulletin:http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/20/news/story01.html

Lingle wants to give 300M back to Taxpayers...

WOW! das means lots of VOTES!

...baaah-h-h

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In The Honolulu Advertiser this morning... http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...607030334/1001

"Lingle 'encouraged' by enormous early lead"
      By Kevin Dayton

"Republican Gov. Linda Lingle is in fine position to glide to an easy re-election this year, and holds an intimidating 46-point lead over her nearest announced rival at the outset of the campaign season, according to the Hawai'i Poll."

She has no worries whatsoever.

Her opponents:

Aila and Iwase

Who?

Aila and Iwase I said!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I shook Iwase's hand at the "Taste of Honolulu" last weekend. His staff was steering him efficiently through the crowd as he pressed the flesh and nodded amicably. Admittedly, wandering a crowded public event doesn't give much of an opportunity to get to know a candidate, but just observing him, I got the same vibe I got from Harry Kim -- a nice guy, but not someone I'd want navigating the neccessarily treacherous waters of politics.

It's been clear since last November that the gubernatorial race is basically written off. And I say this as a Democrat (at least on paper). It's a pity the party can't just be blunt and say, "Forget this, see you guys in 2010."

Comment

There is another candidate for governor - William Aila, a democrat. Bill is genuine, intelligent, very aware of local issues. I've met him & his wife - both are very warm caring people and are very well known & respected by most in the Hawaiian community. I know he is running a very basic, grass-roots campaign - just starting to make appearances on other islands for example. He is worth looking at as a candidate. And, he has a lot more personality that Iwase - he doesn't need "handlers" to work the crowd!

This is his website: www.ailaforgov.org

Fran
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
            There is another candidate for governor - William Aila, a He is worth looking at as a candidate. And, he has a lot more personality that Iwase - he doesn't need "handlers" to work the crowd!

This is his website: www.ailaforgov.org

Fran
            Iwase? Oh! The sacraficial LAMB!
            Baaaaaaaaaad

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Everyone on the Leeward coast knows Uncle Bill. He is a super awesome guy, and so Akamai.

Comment

What impressed me the most about Bill Aila is that he stands up for his principles & beliefs. Whether you agree with him or not - someone who is willing to risk prison for what he believes in is someone who I can support 100%. At the Democratic convention in May, I proudly marched onto the floor with all his other supporters, carrying a sign & chanting E Ku Mau Mau. Listening to him explain to the convention exactly what the chant means & the signifcance of everyone "pulling together, working together" was very heart warming. Plus, he is just such a cool guy! We need more candidates for office who are able to think "outside the box" and who are like all of us - wanting to do good things for our community and wanting to make things right and pono is so many areas. and Bill is a very pono man.

I belong to the Hawaiian Issues Caucus of the Democratic Party. Bill made a presentation to us about his candidacy and then I got to know him a little better at convention. He is very definitely the kind of politician we need because he is NOT a politician. He is simply a man who believes in doing the right thing.

If you're interested in seeing some photos of his supporters at convention, go visit the website www.hicaucus.org. There is a photo gallery of the convention - his campaign is featured on the 3rd day of photos on 5/28.

Fran
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I shook Iwase's hand at the "Taste of Honolulu" last weekend. His staff was steering him efficiently through the crowd as he pressed the flesh and nodded amicably. Admittedly, wandering a crowded public event doesn't give much of an opportunity to get to know a candidate, but just observing him, I got the same vibe I got from Harry Kim -- a nice guy, but not someone I'd want navigating the neccessarily treacherous waters of politics.
                  It's been clear since last November that the gubernatorial race is basically written off. And I say this as a Democrat (at least on paper). It's a pity the party can't just be blunt and say, "Forget this, see you guys in 2010."
                  If Harry Kim is going to run he needs to take a crap or get off the pot. I mean
                  when is the latest date you can decide to run for Governor. If he thinks coming into the race at the last minute will help him in terms of momentum I dont know. He wont have to raise as much money and probably wont have to worry about sagging polls that can affect candidates who announce themselves well ahead of the election.

Who do the Democrats have in 2010 besides maybe Mike McCartney or Ed Case if he fails to defeat Akaka?

I want the Democrats to win it is my party, but they havent given us much to be excited about.

KalihiBoy

Comment

You want to see the Democrats pull a last minute stinger? Imagine Senator Dan Inouye. Yeah I know he's got it made where he's at, but if he suddenly decided to run at the last minute, he'd save on campaign spending AND he'd win hands down.

Right now I don't see any Democrat including Kim to be able to out muster Lingle. Iwase may as well save his money. But Dan Inouye. I think he's the only Democrat that could pull off a successful last minute run for the Governorship.

Hey it could happen.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      But Dan Inouye. I think he's the only Democrat that could pull off a successful last minute run for the Governorship.

Hey it could happen.
                      Yep! I agree. Wat ya waiting foa Senator Daniel Inouye?

Auntie pupUle

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/17/news/story07.html
                        Democrats still seek opponent to face Lingle
                        By Mark Niesse
                        Associated Press

"One week before the deadline to run for office, it is unclear whether a surprise challenger will step forward to oppose Gov. Linda Lingle or if Republicans can mount significant campaigns for Congress."

"So far, only two relatively low-profile candidates -- former state lawmaker Randy Iwase and Waianae Harbormaster William Aila -- have entered the campaign to oust Lingle."

One week to go and the above two candidates have filed. Hmmmm...is there someone lurking who can make an impact on The Governor's Race?

No way!!! If there was one...he/she would have come out swinging by now.

It's a done deal. Linda is re-elected with NOT having to be re-elected.

Democrats will get back the Governorship the next Election with a Bang...hopefully. If they start grooming SOMEONE and planning NOW!

In the meantime...the other seats contested should be interesting enough to watch. Politics. Vote or no grumble!!!

Every VOTE counts.

Mahalo Mel.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          In today's StarBulletin [url]

Every VOTE counts.

Auntie Lynn
                          Absolutely Auntie. Lingle will get my vote if any democrat other than William Aila opposes her in the General election.

Comment

Nalu - what is your problem with William Aila?
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

or - maybe I misunderstood and you are supporting William Aila? Sorry if that is the case.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just don't see it. I agree with Lynn: This election is Lingle's unless someone huge tosses his or her hat into the ring. And it would have to be someone HUGE.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X