Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thought Provoking Op-Ed Piece in the SB

Originally posted by Nalu
    My comments were directed to Tim and Aaron, and their "Politcs of no" theory, not to you Aunty.
    Politics of no is alive and well, I could list a whole bunch of projects here in Kona
    that are stalled because of politics of no. I've lived here my entire life so I know
    the score.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      [I]
      What sort of infrastructure?

Just look at the road situation in Kona. Stopped by boomers led by Jack Kelly, Burial Council, and NIMBY boomers. Any environmentalist knows that when cars sit in stop & go traffic, they emit copious amounts of unburned hydrocarbons. So it would be fair to say that Kelly and the Burial Council are certainly NOT environmentally conscious. Same thing is true with grade separation helping to lower HCarb emissions. But look at all the people against that in Kona.
      Exactly my point, it is very frustrating to see a few people stall needed projects that would benefit everyone.

Nalu, you are a bigot. But, of course, racism is accepted in Hawaii.
      Yes racism is accepted here,I've been on the receiving end of that especially
      in high school . But the older I've gotten, the more I realized how ignorant those people were.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

It's not ironic that two haole, such as yourselves, continue to harp on a idiotic theory. I guess outsiders like you will never understand.
        You really should think twice before you type stuped stuff because you really don't sound to smart by calling others racial name's especially here on the threads and besides no one said anything offensive not from what I read dude.
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
          You really should think twice before you type stuped stuff because you really don't sound to smart by calling others racial name's especially here on the threads and besides no one said anything offensive not from what I read dude.

Nothing is wrong with calling them haole.... those two, ARE haole. Now if I used certain types of adjectives "haole"... that could be construed as a racial epithet.

Btw, you misspelled the word stupid.
          Last edited by Nalu; May 1, 2006, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
            Exactly my point, it is very frustrating to see a few people stall needed projects that would benefit everyone.
            Obviously, they don't see these projects as a benefit.These types of projects only benefit a few AT the expense of everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              Typical response, bring up the race card when all else fails.
              For the record I was born and raised here in Kona.
              What a pity that the term haole can no longer be used to describe non-maoli people, things, and ideas. If the use of the term haole in Hawai'i is considered playing the "race card," someone might be playing with might be playing with the wrong deck. Perhaps another thread needs to be revisited?

As for the op-ed piece by Pablo Wegesend, while not particularly well-written, at least he didn't use the phrase "politics of no" to describe people and entities that subscribe to an "anti-development agenda." I want my Hilo-side Costco, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Lowe's, Best Buy, Circuit City, IKEA, and Target thrown in for good measure, along with affordable housing -- all planned in such a way as to minimize the use of automobiles, while preserving the natural environment.

Even Rancho Cucamonga with its "Victoria Gardens," seems to be achieving an interesting balance....
              Last edited by Jonah K; May 1, 2006, 07:36 PM.
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

I live in South Kona....the Hokulia Highway would be a real help to the traffic jam that currently exists.

EVERYBODY benefits when unburned hydrocarbon emissions are reduced....regardless of how.

Sorry Nalu, the word is a racial pejorative.....thats a fact..get over it
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Actually Tim, you should get over it. Haole is probably a racial pejorative to you because you have likely been on the recieving end of it used in that context (which doesn't surprise me in the least) but haole in itself has no negative racial overtones.

Perhaps you think you are more of an expert on Hawaiian language then Mary Kawena Pukui?

Comment

Nothing is wrong with calling them haole.... those two, ARE haole. Now if I used certain types of adjectives "haole"... that could be construed as a racial epithet.

Btw, you misspelled the word stupid.
                    Ahh. Thanks for correcting my spelling, dude. Whew I thought that was the end of the world for a sec just kidding.
                    Last edited by Pedro; May 1, 2006, 08:05 PM.
                    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I guess that I'll have to use the word kūwaho (ie. "outside") instead of haole to describe non-maoli people, places, and things. Of course, some po'e kūwaho would probably take offense, like some people do when the term gaijin ("outside person") is used by Japanese to describe non-Japanese.

Comment

I completely disagree, you sound exactly like one of ignorant locals I had to deal with in high school.If you don't like that, tough.. you brought it upon yourself by bringing the race card into this discussion.
                        Last edited by Aaron S; May 1, 2006, 08:26 PM.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Obviously, they don't see these projects as a benefit.These types of projects only benefit a few AT the expense of everyone else.
                          Wrong, have you been to Kona and seen the the horrible traffic...I guess not..
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                            What a pity that the term haole can no longer be used to describe non-maoli people, things, and ideas. If the use of the term haole in Hawai'i is considered playing the "race card," someone might be playing with might be playing with the wrong deck. Perhaps another thread needs to be revisited?

When someone calls me haole in a derogatory way, like Nalu did, he completely
                            loses ANY credibility with me personally. I had to deal with people like Nalu
                            in High School. There is no way I'm going to let people like Nalu walk over me
                            now. If someone has to use the race card in a discussion with me, their opinion is meaningless. (at least to me)
                            Last edited by Aaron S; May 1, 2006, 08:26 PM.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Actually Tim, you should get over it. Haole is probably a racial pejorative to you because you have likely been on the recieving end of it used in that context (which doesn't surprise me in the least) but haole in itself has no negative racial overtones.

Perhaps you think you are more of an expert on Hawaiian language then Mary Kawena Pukui?
                              I'm going to play "devil's advocate" for a moment and suggest that languages do not remain static over time. Perhaps the Hawaiian term haole has been misappropriated by English speakers and has become a "racial pejorative" in their language? However for those proficient in ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i, Pidgin, or both, it remains a "racially neutral" term. Other Hawaiian words, such as hula, poi, lu'au, aloha, hapa, wiki and mahalo have been misappropriated by English speakers. Linguists would call the Hawaiian words used by English speakers "loan words," but we all know that they were "stolen."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                                I'm going to play "devil's advocate" for a moment and suggest that languages do not remain static over time. Perhaps the Hawaiian term haole has been misappropriated by English speakers and has become a "racial pejorative" in their language? However for those proficient in ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i, Pidgin, or both, it remains a "racially neutral" term. Other Hawaiian words, such as hula, poi, lu'au, aloha, hapa, wiki and mahalo have been misappropriated by English speakers. Linguists would call the Hawaiian words used by English speakers "loan words," but we all know that they were "stolen."
                                I completely disagree, unless I know the person, I take it offensively when
                                a local uses the term haole in a derogatory manner towards me.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X