X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thought Provoking Op-Ed Piece in the SB

Originally posted by Aaron S
    I completely disagree, unless I know the person, I take it offensively when
    a local uses the term haole in a derogatory manner towards me.
    Of course, context is key. If someone is calling you a "dumb haole" and looks like they're about to knock you over the head, it would be foolhardy not to consider it offensive. However, if two people speaking to each other in the Hawaiian language say "'āina haole ", "kānāwai haole", "mana'o haole" (or some other construction using the word haole) don't assume that they're taking about you.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
      Of course, context is key. If someone is calling you a "dumb haole" and looks like they're about to knock you over the head, it would be foolhardy not to consider it offensive. However, if two people speaking to each other in the Hawaiian language say "'āina haole ", "kānāwai haole", "mana'o haole" (or some other construction using the word haole) don't assume that they're taking about you.

Ok, I agree with that assesment,It makes sense to me.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I don't see it as racist to suggest that someone raised in a certain cultural milieu will probably never be able to see things from a wholly different viewpoint. None of us are culturally neutral. We can never be truly unbiased or objective as our worldview shapes our values and opinions.

I would like to see homegrown solutions to Hawaii's developmental challenges. I'd like to see an emerging neopolynesian architecture. I'd like to see haoles abstain from trying to control the style of development that ultimately takes shape.
        Last edited by sinjin; May 2, 2006, 07:04 AM.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Polynesian didnt have tall enough buildings. If we do it in the old polynesian style, urban sprawl will consume these islands. In essence, that is what is happening now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Urban Planning and Social Science are very misunderstood concepts in Hawaii, both by the populace and by the folks they elect to make decisions.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            Polynesian didnt have tall enough buildings.
            Neither did the Malaysians:
            http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...as_Towers.html
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I guess that I'll have to use the word kūwaho (ie. "outside") instead of haole to describe non-maoli people, places, and things. Of course, some po'e kūwaho would probably take offense, like some people do when the term gaijin ("outside person") is used by Japanese to describe non-Japanese.
              As Jonah K says, gaijin is commonly used in Japan when referring to foreigners. But like the word haole, it's also sometimes used in derogatory contexts. The Japanese have another word that's considered to be politer: gaikokujin. The difference, roughly, is that the first means "outside person" and the second means "outside country person". I'm not sure if the word gaikokujin has always been around, or if it was recently coined as a response to foreigners' unhappiness with being called gaijin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                It's not ironic that two haole, such as yourselves, continue to harp on a idiotic theory. I guess outsiders like you will never understand.
                Nalu, how in the heck do you know I'm haole ? You haven't seen my picture
                or know who I am. I was reading your comments again today. It seems you are just blindly saying I'm haole,basing it upon my comments.Yes you are right that
                I'm haole.But it is another nail to coffin that it just makes you look even more ignorant calling me haole in derogatory way just because you don't like my
                opinion.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Just a thought: Aren't all of us living in Hawaii, Haole or at least part Haole unless one is 100% Hawaiian? Or does it refer to white people only? Just asking.

Comment

or know who I am. I was reading your comments again today. It seems you are just blindly saying I'm haole,basing it upon my comments.Yes you are right that
                    I'm haole.But it is another nail to coffin that it just makes you look even more ignorant calling me haole in derogatory way just because you don't like my
                    opinion.
                    He probably used the "coconut wireless" or Google. Of course, having a blog and writing letters to newspapers and other publications on a variety of issues doesn't exactly help maintain one's anonymity.

Kailua-Kona's a fairly small place, it helps to develop a thick skin when you're a quasi-"public figure."
                    Last edited by Jonah K; May 2, 2006, 07:55 PM. Reason: Content removed as requested
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

He probably used the "coconut wireless" or Google. Of course, having a blog and writing letters to newspapers and other publications on a variety of issues doesn't exactly help maintain one's anonymity.

I have lost any respect I had for you . It was very underhanded you
                      put my dads picture up there. I urge you to remove it. I'm frankly pissed and
                      angry right now. What in the F---- did I do to you.
                      Last edited by Aaron S; May 2, 2006, 07:56 PM.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

opinion.
                        Calm down dude, I seen your picture on the thread somewhere...handsome dude but I think I am better looking, just kidding. Remember there's this button called <IGNORE> it come's in handy it's right near the <SELF-DESTRUCT> don't press that button!
                        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Hmmm...I found the source of that picture, too, Aaron. Pretty easy to find, especially since your dad works in a quasi public capacity. That's one of the "interesting" things about search engines...

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Whatever.....What in the f---- did I do any of you. As you can see I'm more
                            than pissed right now. I hope all of you rot in hell frankly..
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Whatever.....What in the f---- did I do any of you. As you can see I'm more
                              than pissed right now. I hope all of you rot in hell frankly..
                              I'm not saying what Jonah did was kosher, but it does show the dangers of being too public about your real identity if you want to stay anonymous.

Miulang

P.S. I could be google'd and found too, if people knew who I really was.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I am aware of the risks, this is first time I had a jackass do this to me so I'm very frustrated and angry. I just want my dads picture removed and his name removed too..I'd pay $$$$ if someone could just do that simple request.

If it was my picture I would've never had a problem. But putting my dads picture up there crossed the line.
                                Last edited by Aaron S; May 2, 2006, 07:12 PM.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X