Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thought Provoking Op-Ed Piece in the SB

Originally posted by Miulang
    He knows more about the "real" Hawaii and the kanaka maoli than most of us on HT put together in one room know
    Agreed, but this discussion didn't turn into one on his knowledge, but on his behavior in the thread. And as Ryan put it:
    Originally posted by admin
    Jonah, no one has asked you to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Good thing we all pay him such a good salary to do it.
      Crap - I forgot to send my contribution again.
      Uhhh...Ryan? The check's in the mail, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Agreed, but this discussion didn't turn into one on his knowledge, but on his behavior in the thread.
        yes, and it's a free country and people can choose to do what they wish. Funny thing about human beings though. Even after a skirmish is over and apologies are proffered, we can't just put it all behind us and act like nothing ever happened. So if Jonah wants to stop posting, that's his perogative. Others have made the same declaration and returned. It all depends on how dedicated a person is to something (e.g. "addicted" ), I guess.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

yes, and it's a free country and people can choose to do what they wish.
          But this is a moderated forum, not a free country, so people can choose to do what they wish --- and the moderators can delete, scold, or outright ban as they see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            But this is a moderated forum, not a free country, so people can choose to do what they wish --- and the moderators can delete, scold, or outright ban as they see fit.
            Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

True enough. But I choose to accept them and their moderation whims as the price I pay for playing in their sandbox. If they chide me for my behavior, I may pout and I may disagree - but I will eventually accept it.

And if the day comes that I no longer accept it, may I not make a big show of slamming the door and stomping off as a petulant child when I go.

Comment

After re-reading that Op-ed piece by Pablo Wegesend got me into thinking, that yeah he is not alone in this thought about life in Hawaii.

While I grew up in an rural setting on Kauai during the 60's and 70's, I have to admit my heart is geared towards the urban lifestyle. Do I feel that all 6 generally accessible islands need to be urbanized. No.

Comment

And it often depends on who it is that's making trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                    And it often depends on who it is that's making trouble.
                    And also on who's provoking it, remember misery love's company
                    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                      And also on who's provoking it,
                      Making Trouble = Provocation

Seems like an easy concept to grasp...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                        Making Trouble = Provocation

Seems like an easy concept to grasp...
                        Oh Darn I knew I should've check the Dictionary and the Thesaurus
                        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          I have to disagree with Admin and Helen. I don't think Jonah did anything wrong. Out of curiosity, I fired up Google and looked for "stene" and "hawaii" and immediately found Aaron, his dad, his mom, and (I think) his younger brother. Easy to find, all of them. It's not like Jonah was posting information that wasn't already readily available. Get used to it, folks. Unless you make a strenuous effort to avoid it, you'll be listed on the web somewhere.
                          Sorry, but I completely disagree. I would've had no problem if he had put
                          MY picture up. But putting up a picture of my dad crossed the line of decency.I have no regrets how I acted.

I've been online for 10 years, and I know there is a bunch of things online
                          with me on them. I understand that and understand the risks. But bringing
                          in my dad was inappropriate.
                          Last edited by Aaron S; May 3, 2006, 03:58 PM.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                            Aaron,
                            I could tell you were a haole without seeing your picture although I think I saw it here somewhere. http://www.hawaiithreads.com/attachm...tachmentid=125 Doesn't even take one to know one although I am too. My father as well.
                            Yes I know my picture is there. If he had linked to that picture..I would've
                            never reacted the way I did.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                              I agree with this assessment completely.
                              You missed the point entirely...
                              Like I mentioned already, I know there is a whole lotta things online
                              with me on them. I've accepted it and have no problem with it.
                              But when someone posts something relating to my family.. thats
                              where it crosses the line...My dad doesn't even go online...

Think about it a bit longer..just imagine if you were in my shoes
                              and someone did the same thing.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                                Since that appears to be the "official verdict" on the situation (after a "rush to judgement"), it's probably best that I make my "vacation" permanent.

Ironically, some of my 'ohana know both of Aaron's parents and we've always thought highly of them. Unfortunately, I neglected to use the "PM function" and Aaron overreacted somewhat.

I've had some time to ponder this situation. Firstly, I don't think I overreacted.If it was a picture of me...the world would've been ok. But when my family gets involved..well we've already seen what happens.

I never asked you to leave. I'm sorry that this situation has compelled you to
                                do this. Again after having some time to think about it, I accepted your apology.
                                Last edited by Aaron S; May 3, 2006, 04:53 PM.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X