Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethnic politics?

Originally posted by John Maple
    I'm not sure how much credence I lend to the "Audrey Nakamura as peace pipe to the AJAs" explanation.

Don't know who said that. I said I think Case assumed she would be a peace pipe but instead she really was the samurai shaft. Deeze old Japaneeze don't want to envision a Republican haole boinking deah chicks. I know you think I'm joking but I'm not. Garannzzz.

Comment

(1) Splitting the Caucasian haole vote with the war issue.
      I really don't believe you are 50% Hawaiian. This sounds like the work of a UH Haole professor type.

Brah, doesn't matter if he got the entire Haole vote, in fact, he did. They still aren't enought to beat the AJAs + Hawaiians + Unions + HGEA.
      Last edited by kamuelakea; September 27, 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

HGEA is being recruited to vote for the Dems.... street signs etc...

You will see a push in the next few days.

*someone erased something previously...
        gar dangit...why I didn't capture it before it was gone!
        Last edited by damontucker; September 27, 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Japanese representation in the legislature is, to a certain extent, a remnant of the AJA bloc votes.

Says who? You got a crystal ball? I look at people in power and I see mostly Asia. Maybe you right. Maybe you wrong. Based upon Case vs Akaka, you wrong.

Comment

Maybe "anything less is selfish", but politics is selfish. That's the field you're dealing with.

Even with the toenails, the Hawaiian community is fighting for its survival. Take out those and Hawaiians become insignificant.

This comment borders on psychological genocide. Really look at your words and think about them.

You are saying that without a bunch of poidog mutts, that Native Hawaiians are insignificant.

Who is guilty of trying to finally kill off the real Native Hawaiians? No need Asians to do it when you got Hawaiians like you.

Comment

If Hawaiians didn't matter, why was Akaka out at Hawaiian Homelands campaigning to turn out their votes? If AJAs were all that matter, why wasn't he in Manoa or Aiea or some other AJA stronghold, signwaving with Lynn Waihe'e or whatever you think turns AJAs on?

Because AJAs had to vote for Akaka and he knew it. Akaka was in the places he could make the biggest diff. He was reminding Hawaiians to get off da elemu and show up and vote. Odawize most stay home.

Between Case and Akaka, AJAs had no choice.

Comment

I think I understand where you're coming from. It's annoying to see other people, like Kenneth Conklin, commandeer Hawaiian as if it's purely an attitude, as if my ancestors and their history in these islands don't matter. But blood quantum divides Hawaiians from each other. In my view, if you can trace your geneaology to the aboriginal peoples of these islands, you're a Hawaiian. Two generations of intermarriage does not negate centuries of dust in the land.

Ken Conklin makes me sick. Can't stand the sight of the ethnic carpet bagger.

But your argument is that Conklin, who is 100% immigrant shouldn't be spouting off as a "Hawaiian" but that some 99% Haole or 99% Asian and 1% Hawaiian can.

How U feegah?

I don't see the point. The toenail club is the true tennis club. Native Hawaiians are Native Hawaiians. They are on the verge of extinction. If they choose to completely marry out with hot korean chicks or whatevah, fine. but the few left should have the opportunity to have their country back.

The mostly Haole, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Filipino, whatever, can still be proud of who they are but they cannot continue to hold themselves out as
                Hawaiians. They are not.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                  First ting aunty. No worry. I'm nobody. I'm not in a position to make the determination.

But seems to me you're getting huhu cuz my interpretation cuts you off from the gravy train.

I say if you are more than 50% immigrant then get out of the way and try to help real Hawaiians whose ancestors continued to marry Hawaiians achieve self determination.

Anything less is selfish in my humble opinion.

According to your math, me, my husband and my three kids all rate, all DHHL stamped and certified, and if you were like me, you would resent having to prove to some stupid bunch of govt workers who your ancestors were (btdt, mahalo to my own grandparents for fighting the good fight). So don't tell me to get out of my way; I mothered three more native Hawaiians (notice the small "n"--that means 50% or more according to DHHL, and a capital "N" means folks like you).

But you know what? THIS SHOULDN'T BE ABOUT THAT!

I stand by my three points. Get educated, Kamuela. We cannot afford to have Hawaiians perpetuate your kind of thinking. The largest group of Hawaiians are between 25%-49% Hawaiian. And I have explained all of this before.

pax

Comment

I'm 50% Hawaiian; my mother married a Caucasian. I married a Korean woman, because I'd known her since we were children and she's my best friend. At the same time, I believe in self-determination, even independence, if the Hawaiian community so chooses. I see what Westernization has done to Hawaiians, our culture and our heritage, and it pains me. What do I do? Do I leave my wife and children, marry a Hawaiian woman, and commit my life to self-determination? Do I just pretend to be another haole? Do I cut my children off from their ancestors and their heritage?

You can do what any other poidog does. Work, play, raise your family. You need not deny your Hawaiian heritage but you shouldn't deny you other heritage as well. You CHOSE to marry a non-Hawaiian as your mother did. No problem but choices have consequences. When you knowingly marry a Korean, you know your kids are going to be 1/2 Korean. That's great. But at some point in the dilution train, you cannot continue to pretend to be a Native Hawaiian. Your kids will always be part-Hawaiian regardless of the quantum fraction but when you go below 50%, its just common sense to me that you cease being a Native Hawaiian.

Comment

He ran Waihee's campaign. If not a plantation AJA, what is he??
                      I don't remember who ran the Waihe'e campaign, so maybe Nekoba did. But I do know he worked on Cayetano's. Nekoba isn't in the plantation mentality, although he knows how it works. He's from the upper-middle class Sansei/Yonsei that values money and power as opposed to blind loyalty to an ethnicity. That's not saying ethnicity isn't a factor--just that it's less important than money.

Comment

You are funny. A haole "republican" courting Sansei and Yonsei? You gotta be kidding. You are from Hawaii, no?
                        As opposed to issei and nisei who would be even less likely to vote for him? It’s the younger generation that’s restless, but unfortunately they’re the ones that don’t vote. Which is why Case lost. Makes perfect sense to me.

Hypothetical: If he did get more AJAs, but still not enough to beat Akaka, could he have made it up with the native Hawaiian vote? Guarans bo barons. Did you forget the native Hawaiian “Get out the Vote” drive? Hawaiians were there at the polls. Like “Keoni” said, the vote just got split between Akaka and Kawananakoa. 50% Hawaiians or toenail Hawaiians, unless you work for Dwayne Yoshina, you don't know jack sh** about 1%.
                        He was reminding Hawaiians to get off da elemu and show up and vote.
                        Cuz he knew dey wuz going vote, bruddah! See how smut you are.

What’s funny is that you keep trying to save face, after you just got shut down big time by John Maple. You try to correct him by saying Lloyd Nekoba was behind Waihe‘e’s campaign. Yeah, that too, in addition to Cayetano's.

Why don’t you listen, instead of making papakole for a change. You don’t understand Hawai‘i politics any more than the malihini hippie standing at the bus stop.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          I stand by my three points. Get educated, Kamuela. We cannot afford to have Hawaiians perpetuate your kind of thinking. The largest group of Hawaiians are between 25%-49% Hawaiian. And I have explained all of this before.

I know who I am. Don't need to pretend to be any more Hawaiian than I am or any less. I also don't want to pretend that I am in a position to tell real Native Hawaiians what they should do with any sovereignty.

If you are truly Native Hawaiian (50%, not the new DHHL 25%), then I think the Hawaiian Nation should be yours.

And if your kids marry Filipinos or Japanese or Haoles then they have no right to continue to pretend to be “Hawaiians”. They will always be of Hawaiian decent, but they are no longer “Hawaiians”.

Das my opinion. Can’t see how any additional education would change. But I’m all ears.
                          Last edited by kamuelakea; September 27, 2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                            Hypothetical: If he did get more AJAs, but still not enough to beat Akaka, could he have made it up with the native Hawaiian vote? Guarans bo barons. Did you forget the native Hawaiian “Get out the Vote” drive? Hawaiians were there at the polls. Like “Keoni” said, the vote just got split between Akaka and Kawananakoa. 50% Hawaiians or toenail Hawaiians, unless you work for Dwayne Yoshina, you don't know jack sh** about 1%.Cuz he knew dey wuz going vote, bruddah! See how smut you are.

Brah, I really don't want to respond to you cuz I can tell you not dat smat.

Let me simplify it cuz you getting confused.

Hawaiians did vote and they voted for Akaka. NO surprise.
                            Haoles did vote and they voted for Case. Again, NO surprise.

So the difference maker was the next largest bloc. And who was that class?

Yes, very good, it was the AJAs.

And who did the AJA's vote for? Akaka.

Speaking of you don't know Jack.
                            Last edited by kamuelakea; September 27, 2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I know who I am. Don't need to pretend to be any more Hawaiian than I am or any less. I also don't want to pretend that I am in a position to tell real Native Hawaiians what they should do with any sovereignty.

If you are truly Native Hawaiian (50%, not the new DHHL 25%), then I think the Hawaiian Nation should be yours.

And if your kids marry Filipinos or Japanese or Haoles then they have no right to continue to pretend to be “Hawaiians”. The will always be of Hawaiian decent, but they are no longer “Hawaiians”.

Das my opinion. Can’t see how any additional education would change. But I’m all ears.
                              I expect ignorance from people with no vested interest, no genealogical tie to the aina, no mookuauhau, no family here. I expect it from the Ken Conklins, and the yokels who "wanna move to Ha-why-yee because I feel one with the earth and the vibe and I am a reincarnation of Madame Pay-lay".

It tires the hell out of me. Wanes the smile off of my face. But I expect it, so I can deal with it.

But when I see it from my fellow Hawaiians....even those whose ancestry is the equivalent of being my great-grandson (for giggles let's call you 5/32 Hawaiian), it disheartens me. Why? Because you don't see your responsibility as a calling. You don't see your heritage as a noble burden. Nah, you call it the gravy train. It ain't up to you; doesn't have to be, ain't your kuleana.

*spits and glares*

Brah, you are such a haole. Go back to arguing about immigrants--at least some of them give a sh*t. But being a dissaffected keiki o ka aina is worse.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                                But when I see it from my fellow Hawaiians....even those whose ancestry is the equivalent of being my great-grandson (for giggles let's call you 5/32 Hawaiian), it disheartens me. Why? Because you don't see your responsibility as a calling. You don't see your heritage as a noble burden. Nah, you call it the gravy train. It ain't up to you; doesn't have to be, ain't your kuleana.

Brah, you are such a haole. Go back to arguing about immigrants--at least some of them give a sh*t. But being a dissaffected keiki o ka aina is worse.
                                I think you are the Haole. Greedy. Self centered. You are trying to create a "new Hawaiian" that fits the definition of who your ancestors and you and your children decided to marry. 100 Hawaiians could come up with 100 different definitions. By your previous point about the monarchy, does that mean that Thurston Twigg Smith and all the missionary Haoles should also be "Hawaiians" by your definition? I doubt it.

My postions more closely agrees with many of the "real" Native Hawaiians. Those opposed to the Akaka Bill tended to be those with greater Koko. Those in favor tended to be the toenails. That is one reason I believe it didn't pass and why it may never pass.

You can attack me but I'm on their side because I don't want to be selfish, because I am proud of all of my heritage(s), not just the Hawaiian, and because I feel like I am free to be as Hawaiian as I want to be in modern Hawaii. Nobody is stoping me from being me.

But Native Hawaiians are on the brink of extinction, partly due to their own choices but mostly not. They deserve some help.

Comment

Working...
                                X