X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Minor automotive damage automatically makes someone "a fair target" to be beaten senseless???
    Not in my opinion. In the (former domestic abuse victim) Pa‘akaula boy’s opinion.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Not in my opinion. In the (former domestic abuse victim) Pa‘akaula boy’s opinion.
      Ah - thank you for clarifying that.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        The FBI steps in for a crime in Honolulu, but at Hookena the crime was infinitely, and terribly worse, and yet no federal interest. South Kona just gets shafted all the time. If you think about it, it's kinda crazy.
        Maybe the Feds are here because the victim is military....like NCIS.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Hmmm..."former"...
          That's something else we can't be sure of. Domestic abuse tends not to be confined to just a single incident.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Hmmm..."former"...
            That's something else we can't be sure of. Domestic abuse tends not to be confined to just a single incident.
            Linguistically speaking, could he ever technically be a "former victim?" Like when someone calls themselves a "former alumnus" of a school? (Fingernails on the chalkboard to those who love accurate English grammar...)

Comment

Ok so this boy got mad because his car was 'bumped' (we all know a Dodge Durango doesn't just whip into a parking stall) which is understandable. Then he got even more mad when he saw that a white person did it, not so understandable. Yes this person has anger issues but anger that spawned from the thought of a white person doing him wrong. In MY EYES this is a hate crime. I do understand the law and even though this was not 'pre-meditated' the beating got more violent due to the fact that the family was white. So where did it come from? I am sure how he was raised played a major role since we know his father jumped in on the fight. We all know that this incident would not have been this severe had the family in the Durango been Hawaiian. And the sad part is, is this happens all over with people of all different races. But of those comments I was reading about the news coverage, that is a joke. I heard about this through my hair stylist who works at Paul Brown and saw the whole thing. I have YET to hear it on the news. I don't think this story is getting ENOUGH coverage and I am sure the government is trying to downplay the incident to avoid a decline in tourism. I was reading the back-and-forth opinions on here whether or not the wife was actually punched. DOES IT REALLY MATTER??? SHE HAS BROKEN BONES IN HER FACE??? To try and down grade what happened is physically impossible as the injuries to these two people speak for themselves!
              I was reading this and started to wonder.
              Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              ... but hey, that's life in Hawai'i
              Miulang
              is this some kind of excuse?? That is like me saying "Well I am blonde so I can't read". Hawaii is what YOU MAKE OF IT. It does not have to be this way and it is comments like this that will continue to let actions like this continue. If two white men did this to an African-American family NAACP would be swarming Hawaii, which is good because with them would come the media coverage and justice would be served. The punishment that these two will get will be a JOKE. I can only hope that the justice system will prove me wrong!!

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmay View Post
                is this some kind of excuse??
                FWIW, by choosing to leave off her "sarcastic smiley," you've changed/misread the intent of the words you quoted.

Comment

The smiley doesn't change the comments intentions.....either way it was stated that Hawaii is like this we will just have to deal. Still not an acceptable excuse to me.

Comment

The smiley doesn't change the comments intentions.....either way it was stated that Hawaii is like this we will just have to deal. Still not an acceptable excuse to me.
                    But the reality is, that's the way it is. Actually, that's the way it is most anywhere these days with the road rage and just plain rage and frustration of everybody out there. Why anyone (I don't care what race or creed you are) would think that a possession is more valuable than a person's life is the inexcusable part. Fixing a dent in a car is a whole lot less expensive in all ways than fixing a broken body or psyche of a 3-year-old child.

In Hawai'i, I won't go to certain beaches because I don't want to tempt fate. That is the reality. And I'm not stupid enough to want to be the one who gets beaten up to prove the point that it shouldn't be this way. If you wanna be the one to get beat up, go ahead.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      In Hawai'i, I won't go to certain beaches because I don't want to tempt fate. That is the reality. And I'm not stupid enough to want to be the one who gets beaten up to prove the point that it shouldn't be this way. If you wanna be the one to get beat up, go ahead.

Miulang
                      I never said it wasn't reality, I just simply stated that is doesn't HAVE to be this way. I would never put myself in harms way as you suggest and my whole arguement was that I don't think this story is getting enough coverage and because of that it will get brushed under the rug. If the media was more involved it would put pressure on the government to FINALLY take a stand against these violent acts. I am but one person, and until people speak up things won't change.

Comment

If the media was more involved it would put pressure on the government to FINALLY take a stand against these violent acts.
                        How can the media be any more involved? They ran the story after the incident and they did follow-up stories on the suspects.

I saw on one TV report that the victims DIDN'T WANT a fund set up for them. They were more interested in getting past the incident and moving on with their lives, and didn't want any extra media attention.

Comment

I never said it wasn't reality, I just simply stated that is doesn't HAVE to be this way.
                          No argument with you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            How can the media be any more involved? They ran the story after the incident and they did follow-up stories on the suspects.
                            Your right! I am so foolish....two 30 second stories on this crime is plenty to get the word out so that Hawaii's government will see that this is an ACTUAL problem, and these people need to be punsihed to the fullest extent.

I don't think the media needs to be up in the victims face, for it will only make them a target again (probably why they asked to be left alone). I think the media needs to spolight the racial tensions in Hawaii so that the government will start to be harsher with their punishments on people to act out in such a way.

Comment

I think the media needs to spolight the racial tensions in Hawaii so that the government will start to be harsher with their punishments on people to act out in such a way.
                              It always amazes me how people believe the media needs to have a personal agenda. Whatever happened to “staying neutral” and “remaining objective”? I seem to recall something about those philosophies being the hallmarks of responsible journalism.

But I could be wrong.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Your right! I am so foolish....two 30 second stories on this crime is plenty to get the word out so that Hawaii's government will see that this is an ACTUAL problem, and these people need to be punsihed to the fullest extent.

I don't think the media needs to be up in the victims face, for it will only make them a target again (probably why they asked to be left alone). I think the media needs to spolight the racial tensions in Hawaii so that the government will start to be harsher with their punishments on people to act out in such a way.
                                Yeah, you are pretty foolish. Especially if you think two 30-second stories was all the play this particular story got in the local media.

Bet you don't read a newspaper very often, do you?

The media needs to spotlight the racial tension in Hawaii? Why that particular subject and not something else? In MY EYES, it's not so much racial tension as it is a local vs. mainland thing. And this particular incident was the result of a traffic incident.

How long have you been in Hawaii, anyway? Are you unhappy because you're not being treated the same way you were when you lived on the mainland?

Comment

Working...
                                X