• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surlygirly
    replied
    Re: Annoying phrases

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Word whiskers aren't always uttered because a person is ignorant or limited in their vocabulary. Sometimes, it's just the polite thing to say in a conversation about a sensitive matter.
    I've never actually thought about it from that perspective before, FM. Thank you for giving me that new insight. I can now see where it makes sense it certain contexts. But others, as the convo I mentioned above, still drive me crazy. It's too confusing...and I'm already confused enough as it is!

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
    Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form.
    Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    That one you had best get accustomed to in Hawaii Nei. It's the island equivalent of "you know...."
    Indeed. "Da kine" is a word whisker. And that is a concept that is far from unique to Hawaii.

If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.
    Word whiskers aren't always uttered because a person is ignorant or limited in their vocabulary. Sometimes, it's just the polite thing to say in a conversation about a sensitive matter.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 9, 2009, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Rome tragically fell... hard.
    Which brings up another annoying phrase..."when in rome"

Leave a comment:

• bjd392
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    When in Rome...
    Rome tragically fell... hard.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form. If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.

I had a fri
    end over there who was a firefighter in the military. He said he's constantly getting on to his guys about NOT talking pidgin over the radios, because he can't tell where htey're going or what they're doing. Here's an example:

Some firefighter over the radio- "Me and cuz're at da kine and we're gettin' it, yah?"

My friend G- "WHO is we, WHERE are you at, and WHAT are you getting?"

Some firefighter- "Me and Ron are at the fire and we're going in!"

G- "Then say that!"

Some firefighter- "I just did, cuz!"

And you think your job makes you want to scream!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

But it's not just a local thing, it's everywhere, NY, wherever. I was afraid it might be minconstrued as pidginy, and was gonna edit it to yes's, but nobody say's it with a yes.

Leave a comment:

• D'Alani
    replied
    Re: Which is it, yes or no?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    no yeah, or, yeah no

You hear this silliness even by on-air so-called professionals.
    If you read it as no yes, or, yes no then you dodono pidgin, otherwise you wouldn't consider it to be silliness.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form. If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.
    When in Rome...

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    I'm afraid this is a proper term. A legal attorney is not [necessarily] an attorney-at-law. A legal attorney is someone legally appointed to a position/purpose. For instance, an estate executor or someone with a power-of-attorney of any sort.
    Thank you for clarifying, although based on the context of its usage in my anecdote, I don't believe it was inferred in the proper manner, but was instead a desperate attempt to conjure up false authority. Much like claiming to have a GED in law.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Literally.
    Used so often, and usually not in the proper/literal sense, but instead to emphisize something irrelevant.
    Stop it.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

heheheh

know how to catch a unique rabbit?

u nique up on it.....

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Whenever someone modifies the word 'unique.' As in:
    'totally unique, so unique, unbelievably unique, more unique,' etc.

Something is either unique (unlike anything else) or it is not. It's an absolute.
    There are no degrees to uniqueness.

K

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

That one you had best get accustomed to in Hawaii Nei. It's the island equivalent of "you know...."

K

Leave a comment:

• Palama Kid
    replied
    Re: Which is it, yes or no?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    no yeah, or, yeah no

You hear this silliness even by on-air so-called professionals.
    Your right !!! (for you're right !!!)

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
    I once had someone tell me that they were a 'legal attorney' (is that like a Police Cop?). Your phrase reminded me of that. Thanks!
    I'm afraid this is a proper term. A legal attorney is not [necessarily] an attorney-at-law. A legal attorney is someone legally appointed to a position/purpose. For instance, an estate executor or someone with a power-of-attorney of any sort.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X