• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    How about those Swiffer commercials with the poor rejected broom? don't much care for those..............although I do love the products
    "Baby come back..."
    To me, a cute concept but now they're just old and stale because they've been aired so much! Lucky actors! Good casting, I might add! I, too, love the products.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

How about those Swiffer commercials with the poor rejected broom? don't much care for those..............although I do love the products

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    How many Ernest movies were made?
    Sheesh...my bad. I meant Ernest. Vern was his 'friend'! Anyway...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_P._Worrell

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Remember "Vern" and his dufus gimmick? Gimmicks work! And, they're intentional.
    How many Ernest movies were made?

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

The Humana commercials.

"One night he sing outside my window until i made him stop!"

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

TS - thanks for the info & suggestion! I'm going to make a serious attempt to find out the agency & write to them instead. Good idea!

Leave a comment:

• escondido100
    replied

billy mays will have his own show:
    On April 15, 2009, the Discovery Channel will air a new series called Pitchmen. Pitchmen will be co-hosted by Mays, alongside Anthony Sullivan

i wonder how long that will last?

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Oxi-Clean is a good product & would probably sell just as well without him yelling at us! It's his "gimmick" and it seems intentional - that's partially whats so offensive about it. and I remember the commercial/product in a negative way - not a way that will make me rush out to buy it. I have even written emails to the products websites detailing my objections to him and intent to NOT buy the products as long as he is doing the advertising. and I don't buy any product he advertises.

call me stubborn but that's just the way I feel.
    But, Fran, you're a sophisticated consumer. It has nothing to do with being stubborn. The average viewing public isn't as sophisticated. And, no cites...just memories of being told this by various ad agency execs over the years...err...decades! Ads are written with specific target audiences in mind. I'm casting one right now that's very specific. My guess is Billy Mays put Oxi-Clean on the map. And, yes, he drives me nuts, too! Bottom line, tho', is he's also driving his advertisers and himself all the way to the bank. And, that's all that matters.

Remember "Vern" and his dufus gimmick? Gimmicks work! And, they're intentional.

Good for you for voicing your displeasure by not buying a product and by writing letters. Unfortunately, unless there's a flood of 'em, a letter via a web site probably goes pretty much unnoticed. A better tactic is to find out the product's ad agency and write the president of that agency and cc the President of the company that makes the product. And, that can take a lot of research! BTW, commercials have been pulled when enough viewers complained. It's an advertiser's and an ad agency's nightmare because spots are so expensive to produce.

Just my 2¢...

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Kimo & TS are both right - the singing fish is cute but has been on waaaay too long. It's time for McD's to get another commercial.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Oxi-Clean is a good product & would probably sell just as well without him yelling at us! It's his "gimmick" and it seems intentional - that's partially whats so offensive about it. and I remember the commercial/product in a negative way - not a way that will make me rush out to buy it. I have even written emails to the products websites detailing my objections to him and intent to NOT buy the products as long as he is doing the advertising. and I don't buy any product he advertises.

call me stubborn but that's just the way I feel.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Glad to say I have NEVER seen this spot, if it's as annoying as you folks say it is.[...]
    OMG, LL, you must never, ever watch tv! I can't remember another spot that's run as often as that one. It's actually a well written, well cast spot and it wore pretty well...for awhile. But it's been run into the ground. And it's doing exactly what it's meant to do...get people talking. Positive or negative doesn't matter! Here we are, talking about it!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

any commercial with Billy Mays!!!! [...]But, on the other hand - since he does so many commercials, I guess he IS effective at least for his bank account![...]
    Bingo!!! Not only his bank account but the advertiser's, too. They wouldn't keep hiring Mays if he wasn't effective at selling the product.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    I'm getting really tired of the singing-fish-on-the-wall McDonald's filet-o-fish spot. 'Nuf already!
    Glad to say I have NEVER seen this spot, if it's as annoying as you folks say it is.

Originally posted by zff View Post
    Geico's had some pretty good commercials over the years, but their latest campaign, the one with the stack of money with eyes... "that's the money you would've saved if you switched to Geico"... is an epic fail. I can't stand them.
    That's funny - I kinda like the weirdness factor of those spots - and I am glad that the Cavemen ones seem to have run their course.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

I saw a bit on Jay Leno the other nite where he talked about the ShamWow guy getting his tongue bitten and then making the commercial - it was pretty funny!

I personally love the Sham Wow guy - he has so much fun making those messes

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

any commercial with Billy Mays!!!! i turn the volume down so I don't have to listen to him yelling at me. He needs to take a voice class and learn how to modulate - he would be much more effective. But, on the other hand - since he does so many commercials, I guess he IS effective at least for his bank account!

I have an aversion to buying any product he advertises just because of him & his irritating voice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X