X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Hawai‘i Army Lieutenant

Originally posted by glossyp
    Sorry - I just couldn't resist! OTOH, this thread has been hijacked by WRIC to spout all sorts of stuff to buttress his anti-war arguments and justify his behavior. With the arrival of WRIC on the scene, the scope has expanded far beyond the original topic of Lt. Watada. Perhaps we need two threads? This one and one devoted to war resisters, awol types and the like.
    Respectfully, I disagree. WRC's perspective and situation are relevant to Lt. Watada's circumstances, and disagreement with his p.o.v. is not enough reason to say he "hijacked" the thread. Points in this discussion have been both defended and countered by citations of different scenarios that do not directly involve the Lt. referred to in the thread's title.

Comment

If it was going on for that long, did she write home about it to anyone? Did she make a report to anyone? It didn't have to be in her unit. Did she document anything?

As a mother, I am outraged that this would happen. As a victim of Sexual Abuse - my stomach turns at the thought of this occurring to a woman who went there to fight for our country.

All eyes will be on this one. If it is true. Damn them Bastards who did it to her!

My daughter was in Iraq for 15 months. I didn't hear not one utter of a mishap or anyone trying to harm her in anyway from her fellow comrades. I was asked by a reporter on T.V. when they did a special on my children...

"Is there a difference between a female and a male Soldier?"

My answer..."No! There is no difference. They are all United States Soldiers!"

My worries for my daughter were the same as my son. I never imagined or thought of her being subject to harm from her fellow Soldiers. I believe there is evil amongst the good in everything.

I am sadden today to hear of the many "cases" that happened to our women in Iraq.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Respectfully, I disagree. WRC's perspective and situation are relevant to Lt. Watada's circumstances, and disagreement with his p.o.v. is not enough reason to say he "hijacked" the thread. Points in this discussion have been both defended and countered by citations of different scenarios that do not directly involve the Lt. referred to in the thread's title.
        You needn't be respectful. It was a suggestion as the topic has grown to include WRC and the woman solider from Oregon. You also make a rather large assumption that I disagree in total with WRC's pov. I enjoy a good discussion as much as anyone and my goal is to learn more rather than to proselytize. I also like to retain a sense of humor.

Comment

Just for the record, I'm staying out of all this because while I disagree strongly with the war in Iraq, I have less than zero respect for AWOL coward deserters.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You needn't be respectful.
            Ah, but the discussion going on here needs as much respectful behavior as we can give.
            It was a suggestion as the topic has grown to include WRC and the woman solider from Oregon.
            Agreed in that it has grown, but I feel that they are still relevant to the main topic, especially in the case of the Lance Cpl. in Toronto (WRC).
            You also make a rather large assumption that I disagree in total with WRC's pov.
            True, I did assume that, primarily from the tone of your words:
            hijacked by WRC to spout all sorts of stuff
            I also like to retain a sense of humor.
            Never suggested otherwise, glossyp.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Just for the record, I'm staying out of all this because while I disagree strongly with the war in Iraq, I have less than zero respect for AWOL coward deserters.
              Ummm...that's an odd way to "stay out of it," LikaNui. "While I want you all to know, first and foremost, that I despise explosions, here's a live grenade."

Comment

Ain't nothing going to happen until Watada refuses to board his plane on the 27th, so we just killin' time until then.

I have been unwavering in my stance here but I find WRCs version of current events and his subsequent path very interesting to say the least. I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire but you got to give him a little credit, he is actually doing something about it versus cutting and pasting someone else's tired rhetoric. He has everything to lose, and to some degree has already lost most of it, but still he perseveres. He is blazing a trail, one that I would never take.

IMAGINE if all that gungho-ness would have put to better use. Like killing Al Qaeda.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

FYI, Lt. Watada's unit is scheduled to ship out this week. He said he would be there for the deployment but would not board the plane. He also promised his commanders that he wouldn't intentionally create a media event out of it. (what the media and the antiwar people do is another story).

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; June 21, 2006, 01:00 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    "While I want you all to know, first and foremost, that I despise explosions, here's a live grenade."

Honi Honi,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

On the inside cover of this weeks weekly...

There is a full page add paid for by a group called NION

in support of LT. Watada.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        On the inside cover of this weeks weekly...

in support of LT. Watada.
                        NION is "Not in Our Name", an antiwar group.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Manoa123
                          I have to go back on my medications. "Meclizine" for Vertigo.

...I thought I read NONI!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I am sorry if some of you feel that my comments in response to the case of Lt. Watada calling this war illegal, are not centering on the main issue. However I am in fact centering it on the exact point which Lt. Watada makes. That the war in Iraq is illegal according to international law, that there has been systematic abuses of human rights throughout Iraq, and that the President has oversteped his office by ordering young men and women to fight in Iraq and be a part of it. WE REFUSE TO ACCEPT UNLAWFUL ORDERS.

At all cost we will resist orders which are illegal and immoral. We will continue to inform persons across the US, Canada, France, Japan, Germany, and beyond, that War Resisters are here and we will not obey the unlawfulness that has been done in the name of our country.

Now on to the LT. On June 27th the Iraq Veterans Against the War, Veterans for Peace, Not in Our Name, War Resisters Support Campaign, the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War, along with major social movement groups across North America, will speak out with Lt. Watada in favor of his honourable discharge.

Here in Canada we will be holding a vigil in front of the US Consulate where Ryan Johnson a former Private in the USARMY and myself will speak and we will offer a moments of silence and prayer for the Lt.

Lastly not a single person has responded to the comment on just how the US resinded its rights of wars of agression. Throught the United Nations Charter and the US Constitution. I am interested to hear INTELIGENT feedback from everyone, whether you are a supporter or not it is good to know what the basis for the Ilegality of the war is. But remember the United Nations Charter is just one argument of many about the legality of the War.
                            "Canada shall be a refuge from militarism"
                            Prime Minister Piere Trudeau

Comment

in today's news are reports of eight U.S. marines being charged with murder.

My fear is that the longer we occupy Iraq, the chances increase that the tide will turn from our citizenry who currently support our troops, and start picking up that old baby killer taunt used against our soldiers back in the VietNam war.

Are those marines heroes? Are they better than WRC?

pax

Comment

Between the dates of June 14th and 19 of this year, Princeton Survey Research Associates International, conducted a survey on if President Bush is handling this war in Iraq properly only 35% of Americans agreed 57% disagreed and 8% were unsure. In the most recent CNN Poll which asked, Do you favor or oppose the U.S. war with Iraq? Only 38% favor it and 54% are opposed, leaving 8% unsure.

Now I do not know where you got your statistics from but I do not agree that the Majority of the US supports the mission.

Please remember supporting the troops is not the same as supporting the mission. I support the troops I want them to come home I don't want them involved in this war. I do not support the mission as I said in all of prior responses.

Now I agree that all Marines are heros, however ones who go beyond the lines of defense no matter the excuse are dishonourable. No man is justified in killing innocent civilians. There is a difference between collateral damage victimes and an intentional massacre.

Furthermore, anyone who starts screaming at the troops is wrong. You do not take it up with those who fight but with those who make the decisions. For instance I did not bash all Marines for what only some have done. I do not become agressive against the Marines fighting in Iraq that is their choice to fight for their president aimlessly, I do however blame the Administration that put them there.

As for the last question I will not answer...

But is it better to choose not to kill without cause or to kill without mercy.
                                "Canada shall be a refuge from militarism"
                                Prime Minister Piere Trudeau

Comment

Working...
                                X