X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Hawai‘i Army Lieutenant

Originally posted by Miulang
    OK, Lt. Watada's unit deployed today. He refused to get on the bus. Let the show begin. Additional coverage here.

Miulang
    "Pop Corn, Hot Dogs, Soft Drinks?" asked the seller in the stands.

"T-shirts, Banners, Balloons, and Fake hAWAIIAN Leis here...1/2 price while it's still early." The man said from his cart.

"Hmmm..No, nothing for me. I'll just watch and listen from HT!"

Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Dang;

My container of huli huli chicken does not arrive until Monday. I was looking forward to feeding all the Hawaiians.
      Last edited by nachodaddy; June 22, 2006, 12:37 PM. Reason: syntax error
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

This could be a long fight ...

Army Soldier Refuses to Deploy

By Brooks Baehr

... According to the Army there is not a timetable to resolve the Watada situation ...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

The Army is apparently softening its stance on Lt. Watada. Although they have forced him to move to Ft. Lewis and give up his apartment outside the base, they have rescrinded the gag order which didn't allow him to talk to anyone but his lawyer.

That is actually probably a good idea for the Army to do. I don't know if military law is different from civilian law when it comes to due process, but if they don't allow him to speak freely, that is an abridgement of his 1st Amendment right.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by legal_secretary_in_mtl
            i am not a NOTARY u nitwad.. and if u have a criminal background or you were arrested for ANYTHING, you should NOT be able to be a resident here.. we have enough criminals of our own... no need for one more LOL so let me be the 5th person to say.... YOU SHOULD LEAVE :d
            In Canada being a deserter is not an offense under the criminal code of canada, but under Canadian Forces Regulations. I am not subject to Canadian Force regulations. I am not a criminal, I am a deserter. You may see them as the same but they are not...

What Lt. Watada and the thousands of deserters have done is say no we will not be a part of a criminal activity. Let me quote Kofi Anon. "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter. From our point of view and from the charter point of view it was illegal."

Deserter or Protester at home we are doing what we believe whether you agree or not...
            "Canada shall be a refuge from militarism"
            Prime Minister Piere Trudeau

Comment

As Chris can attest, military law and civilian law are apples and oranges.

Comment

Thank you Nachodaddy for that but I think for some people who don't understand military law it should be explained.

I am accused of the following military offences.

Desertion (not during a time of war since war has not officially been declared)

Disrespecting the Commander and Chief of the United States of America (We are all guilty of this at point or another)

Disobeying a "lawful" order (To return to the United States, To deploy to Iraq.)

Missing a Movement (Missed Pre-deployment Training, Missing Deployment)

Disrespecting a Commissioned Officer (Speaking out to press against the Commandant of the Marine Corps)

Disrespecting a Non Commissioned Officer or Petty Officer (Accusing a Sergeant of atrocities during training)

Now in a civilian court none of these charges would be applied because civilians have the bill of rights. I only have two excuses to not comply with an order it is unlawful...

Canada doesn't have bilateral treaty covering military offenses so I am not breaking the law. Therefore making a nonfactor here in Canada, no member of the RCMP, OPP, TPS, or Border Services can arrest me on those charges. It is against the law... Also Canada has taken in deserters from not only the US but France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Iraq, Mexico, Argentina Columbia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, and many more...

Which by the one no one has contested my post citing constitutional law and international law for my decision so I guess no one contest the Illegality of the war in here?

One last thing as a Legal Secretary you should know better, do your research before debating...
                Last edited by War_Resisters_Canada; June 23, 2006, 11:08 AM.
                "Canada shall be a refuge from militarism"
                Prime Minister Piere Trudeau

Comment

[QUOTE=War_Resisters_Canada]

Which by the one no one has contested my post citing constitutional law and international law for my decision so I guess no one contest the Illegality of the war in here?
                  QUOTE]

Chris;

Since you have asked, I don't know a zillion times, I will accommodate you but not here, PM only. I will explain why in my first PM, then you will understand.

Comment

An open letter from Carolyn Ho, Ehren Watada's mother, regarding the vigil that will happen on the 27th.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's a 10-minute audio recording of an interview with Lt. Watada last week in Portland (before he was confined to base for refusing to deploy with his unit). He talks about his reasons for refusing to deploy and asks what other people in this country are willing to sacrifice to bring our troops home safely.

Miulang

Comment

Ehren Watada wrote an editorial to the honolulu advertiser... and his family requested it to be reported on www.hawaiireporter.com

Sorry for the mix up...

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....8-31cb7aaed46f

"Hawaii Born Soldier Tells His Side of the Story on Why He Refuses to Go to Iraq After He Volunteered for the U.S. Army Since 9-11
                        By Ehren Watada, 6/23/2006 1:12:44 PM"

"I am a U.S. Army commissioned officer and currently, I am awaiting charges for refusal to participate in the illegal war and occupation in Iraq."
                        Last edited by damontucker; June 27, 2006, 01:48 PM. Reason: sources...sources... righting a wrong source

Comment

Demonstrations like this are happening all over the country today, even in Hawai'i (Hilo, Honolulu and Kona). Here's a little slideshow put together by Lorin Watada, Ehren's brother.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; June 27, 2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

American voices from across the border. This podcast has interviews with some of the AWOL troops who are now living in Canada. Lance Cpl. Chris Magaoay is one of those who was interviewed last week for this piece.

Miulang

Comment

Here is a statement in support of Lt. Watada that was read aloud at a June 27th demonstration in Atlanta, GA. It is from a USAF Maj. Kelley Culver, who served against his better judgement in Iraq. He realized he was fighting in an illegal war, but decided at the time that his career was more important than his objections to fighting in that war. I have a feeling that there are many many individuals who are doing exactly the same thing...knowing that the war is illegal, but deciding that it's better to suck it in and keep quiet for fear of retribution.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                Here is a statement in support
                                And here is a statement of NON-support: I hope Watada spends a long long time behind bars.
                                I also hope he finds a girlfriend named Bubba there, but that's a wish more than a statement.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X