This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

I am a bag of nerves over my buddies from the USA coming for my chicken and cherries. I have never cooked for them on 4th July. One member made me laugh at my recipe when I (and she pointed my mistake out to me) said ,,, "Toss in the flour."

Comment

Wednesday on FB someone posted a Hamburger Steak plate at a local restaurant and I said to myself, "tomorrow it's Hamburger Steak for the family for dinner". So yesterday I went out and bought everything including a George Foreman grill from the Salvation Army (trying to stay within our one income budget).

So dinner was fantastic with carmelized onions, home made hamburger patties, homemade macaroni salad and a pot of rice and brown gravy. Washed it all down with a cold brewskie and was in heaven for the rest of the night. My wife went outside to gather some eggs from our hen and made some over easy eggs converting our dinner into a loco moco. Simple dinners make for a satisfying meal. Easy on the budget, the kitchen and the cook! My kids loved it!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Wednesday on FB someone posted a Hamburger Steak plate at a local restaurant and I said to myself, "tomorrow it's Hamburger Steak for the family for dinner". So yesterday I went out and bought everything including a George Foreman grill from the Salvation Army (trying to stay within our one income budget).

So dinner was fantastic with carmelized onions, home made hamburger patties, homemade macaroni salad and a pot of rice and brown gravy. Washed it all down with a cold brewskie and was in heaven for the rest of the night. My wife went outside to gather some eggs from our hen and made some over easy eggs converting our dinner into a loco moco. Simple dinners make for a satisfying meal. Easy on the budget, the kitchen and the cook! My kids loved it!

Well done. I have had a George Foreman for years and I got it at a car boot sale/swap meet near that big stadium on the way to Pearl harbour.
        It's never let me down and cooks the food to perfection but I've got to admit that it's difficult to clean. Next time you do that meal can I pop over to yours,,,,,, ??? only 11.500 miles from here

Superb recipe.

Comment

In & Out Burger.

Well, In & Out grilled cheese animal style.

Yum!!

~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

hi,tonight,we're having curry on rice and maybe a lettuce and tomato salad and i know it'll be good.

not sure what's for tomorrow's dinner?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

It's 2.15 a.m. 4th July. And my Yankie buddies have been well fed. The chicken with cherries ,,,,,, they loved. After the tour of Liverpool, they were ready to drop. Jet lag is real. I got them back to their hotel safely and we had a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Cherries with Chicken

For 4

I bought the ingredients today but will be cooking for some American friends on Saturday.

Ingredients:-

boneless, skinless chicken
                3 tablespoons butter
                3 tablespoons olive oil
                1 cup white wine
                1 cup chicken broth
                1/4 cup Dijon mustard
                2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
                2 tablespoons cornstarch
                1 tablespoon water
                2 cups pitted sweet cherries
                1/4 cup sliced green onion
                flour
                salt and pepper, to taste
                Preparation:

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then lightly toss in flour. Shake off excess.

Heat the butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is golden and cooked through. Remove to platter and keep warm.
                Stir wine, chicken broth and mustard into skillet, scraping up browned bits. In small bowl, mix cornstarch, vinegar and water; stir into skillet.
                Add cherries and bring to a boil, stirring until sauce thickens (1 to 2 minutes).
                Stir in green onion. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
                Cook's tip: Its great with some fresh crunchy salad.
                This sounds delish. I know I'd love the combination of dijon, balsamic vinegar and the sweetness of cherries. Did you really pit the cherries? Or did you use canned pitted cherries?
                Edited: Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have posted this question here.

Comment

Twice a week we have Tyson's Entreé's (in various configurations) while 'Mom' Is doing 'Jazzercize,' plus some quick steamed veggies of various configurations.

When the QUEEN of the home cooks, it turns out a plethora of fish, meats, poultry or "simulated other." Along with garden veggies, various grains or other starches, as is appropriate to 'broke da mouth!'

We do occasional prime steaks, lean chop beef, chop turkey, turkey sausage, turkey meatballs, (she guards our cholesterol numbahs!)... NO fat, NO chicken skin. I think she wants us to live long and prosper.

I love saffron rice (YUM!), and I love Lamb - whatever cuts - and every vegetable under the sun. Oh, and although I not have for 30 years, I love goat. Oh and Pua`a....

Not a healthy diet, but for the goat (lean), oh well. No can live forevah, but can live in JOY!

Next step: Spouse boss says we gonna be VEGANS! No meat, milk, butter - NADA!

Hmmmmm. (Are we being invaded from the star system of VEGA???

K.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Easy Mac and a bottle of water.

Comment

Well done. I have had a George Foreman for years and I got it at a car boot sale/swap meet near that big stadium on the way to Pearl harbour.
                      It's never let me down and cooks the food to perfection but I've got to admit that it's difficult to clean. Next time you do that meal can I pop over to yours,,,,,, ??? only 11.500 miles from here

Superb recipe.
                      Sure anytime...but you gotta clean that grill. I was trying to figure out how to do that. I think removable grill plates would have solved most of that problem. I bought the grill for $5. Simple and easy to use, hard to clean up but as I saw that fat dripping away I knew this was a good thing.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well done. I have had a George Foreman[...] but I've got to admit that it's difficult to clean.[...]
                        Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        [...]I think removable grill plates would have solved most of that problem. I bought the grill for $5. Simple and easy to use, hard to clean up but as I saw that fat dripping away I knew this was a good thing.
                        I have 3 GF grills and love them but they do scratch easy causing the food to stick. There are a few cleaning options...

1. For all GF grills, try spraying them with PAM or other similar type products first.
                        2. For really stuck on food, place a wet fabric softener sheet over that area of the grill and let soak for about 30 minutes.
                        3. You can also elevate the front legs so that the grill is level then add some water & dishwashing detergent and soak for a few minutes. Do this in the sink!!!
                        4. The nylon scrub sponges have worked, too...depending on the condition of the grill and how badly the food is burned on to it. My newest GF came with a special sponge that is 'ridged' to match the grill. It's a sponge on one side and a scrubber on the other.

GF grills are the greatest!

Comment

Some great tips above. I will be using my GF in a few hours to do home made burgers.

Comment

Why clean the grill? Just rub it with a bit of salt and wipe it off til next time.

(My motto has always been 'be clean enough to keep the health services away, but dirty enough to be happy'.)
                            Last edited by SusieMisajon; July 4, 2009, 12:44 AM.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tonite it was boneless, skinless chicken breast marinated in olive oil, chopped garlic, herbes de provence, salt,pepper and some dijon mustard. Served with couscous. Cooked on my Cuisinart grill with removable grill plates so it is super easy to clean!

(notice how I very slickly responded to the earlier posts about the GF grills, but still kept to the subject)

"Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Easy Mac, Hamburger Helper, vienna sausage and a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Working...
                                X