Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Originally posted by Kalona808
    Lurka

[...] As far as the Lynns of the world, ehhh they get to live with their own stuff...Karma is an amazing thing when u mess with it enough. What u put out u always get back many times over that includes good and not so good.

They can slap us around all they think they need to BUT I am confident they will NEVER get our heart. [...]

Father Du Tiel started his program with peanut butter snadwhiches. And his dream to make a difference grew into IHS. I'm sure he is one of the many angels looking upon us through our battles.
    It seems the 'grass roots' aspect of what Father Du Tiel did and you do is what works best. Then, projects start to grow and everything gets mired in administrative paperwork (not to mention egos), obligations, rules and regs. All of a sudden the mission becomes secondary (or lower).

I so agree with you about the karmic consequences. It'll happen...and then some! In the meantime...when one door closes there's always another waiting to open. Ya just have to find it! You've already found a window. The door is not far away! Thank you for making a difference in the lives of people who really need it. There, but for the grace of God...go any one of us. No one is immune.

Comment

Funny t'ing, because a distributor of food to my school's snackshop (musubis, bentos, etc) had to stop because they too didn't have any permits (but the students loved the musubis, and they were big for the price).

Now the distributor raised the price for something that is 1/2 the size smaller than the previous musubi.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Tutu...I agree...sometimes there's a reason for everything. And I think in our case, it's going to be improve. I agree in many cases the bigger an organization becomes the more red tape can be attached and the vision and original purpose decreases from other distractions. But I think in some few cases that isn't always how it is.

When I started my KauKau wagon in the 80's, we went out with a few gallons of juice, and about 30-50 sandwiches. We used my kids Radio Flyer wagon, to haul it through the park. I saw children living in the park and when the holidays came, I just couldn't stand the thought that these kids would have no celebration, no tree, no nothing, not even a hot meal. So I recruited this chirch to help. I remember clearly getting into a serious battle with the Parks and Recs director. Looking back now, I still laugh at the insanity of it all.
        I dug this small hole in the ground and put a Christmas tree. he pulled it out, I slammed it back in. This went on like two children. LOL Keep in mind this time period because back then u rarely ever heard the word "homeless"

Next thing u know Linda Hosek (a reporter) decided to do a story about this battle. She called us the Kau Kau wagon which obviously stuck with us.
        U really couldn't tell the homeless apart from me. I fit in like a glove. LOL
        Some things are just natural. Anyway here's the kicker, after all that fight to get the tree in there, two nights later it was stolen. LMAO! I was annoyed yet laughing. Anyway, determined as I was, I went out and bought another one, a lil more Charlie Brown looking though. Ehhhh Budget was tight then too.
        The end results we had a HUGE Christmas with gifts, toys, and hot meals for everyone.

All these years later, we now pass out over 200 plus sandwiches. 10 gallons of juice, snacks and cloths and stuff we get, when we get them. The last Sat of the month we have a church....the Seventh Day Adventist of Monoa that does the meal for us. And wow let me tell u, they make our sandwiches look kinda ghetto. HAHA So I'd say we grew quite a bit from the early days.
        Christmas for the past many years has been put on by the Hawaiian Hilton. WOW! they don't play around. I can't tell u how tempting it is to get right in line. The staff there is awesome! Talk about some wonderful hearted people!

At Thanksgiving, I am over joyed. Tons of people get together and cook and work so hard. They bring hot fresh turkeys and all the fixings. We even had some wonderful high profile people help serve the meal. For those getting the meals, this seems to really give them a moment of feeling special. That to me is so awesome to see their excitement when an official takes the time to acknowledge them as real human beings with real needs. All politics aside it is a wonderful event to see unfold. Don't get me wrong. I sweat having enough every year. But somehow I just jamm those phone lines and everyone I know gets called. I shamelessly ask for everything. The public comes through like champions. Talk about ALOHA....WOW this would bring a fire in the coldest of hearts. I'm always in awe. We feed over 600 people for that event.

So not all programs that grow lose the big picture or the reason for being there. I doubt we ever will. Cause for us it must and will always be about the people in need and about the HOPE we share. Hope has no price.

Comment

Sorry about all the typos as usual. LOL As I stated early on, my huked on funix Crown sometimes gets a lil snug around the brain cells. HAHA
          My mind is way faster then my fingers unless it's something I'm looking for and can't find. LOL

Comment

So let me tell u about how it went today. LMAO Not a single officer even showed up. I guess after the BS call to my house yesterday pretending to be a homeless guy and concerned if I got my permit or not, they realized I had the permit. LMAO ROTFF!!! !!

Anyway, there was a few extra volunteers, some students from U.H. doing a project study. LOL geeez they really know how to pick em huh? And this couple with a lil baby that bought a lil toy wagon with sandwiches and juice. IOn the wagon they had these signs..."ALOHA doesn't need a permit" etc. LMAO I had to crack up laughing as did Candy. One of the guys who is buying the pups came out with his daughter and bought some T-Shirts. It was really awesome.

I think they were all very surprised at our lil operation. One of the downtown board members was there as well. He's always been a very good supporter of what I do. He got to see once again for himself that YES we do clean up, and NO, no one was urinating and defacating on the ground. Geeeez.

And ur all gonna love this part....the Parks and Recs guys gave us a Huge Congrats! LMAO!! They are really good to us as well. So that was really neat!

It was really nice to be able to have more then enough food and snacks. And yeah we did get there a lil later then usual, but mostly because of the rain and trying to rearrange our norm route. I think Loves bakery is gonna miss us now, cause every weekend we would buy 20 plus loafs of bread, but now that will be much tougher to do, so I have one of our reg volunteers buy the bread from the Navy Commisary. It's actually cheaper for us as well.

It was interesting the smiles and thank u's we got from the whole line. They knew. They read the article and talked heavily about it. They were so happy with us for fighting and so mad at Lynn for her actions and lack of compassion for them. It was really interesting to hear them speak out like that.

So it all worked out good. And it felt better then ever!

LMAO I am posting on two boards now and I really am getting confused what I shared where. LOL Geeeez this is gonna be tough to keep up with. But I can't help but see some humor in this challenge. So if I ever seem like I am being repetitive it's only because I am lost! HAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Kalona808

LMAO I am posting on two boards now and I really am getting confused what I shared where. LOL Geeeez this is gonna be tough to keep up with. But I can't help but see some humor in this challenge. So if I ever seem like I am being repetitive it's only because I am lost! HAHAHAHA
              Eh but look at all the emotional feedback and dialogue you're generating from all the exposure. Amazing yeah, this Internet thingie?

So when do you take over Ms. Maunakea's job?

Comment

Since when is it wrong to give away food? She's not making a cent from this , just being a good person. Shame on the Health Dept.!
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

LMAO Lurka Ummm Uhhh I don't think so. Not if it means treating people like that. I'll just keep it all simple from my end. I don't want anything to allow or encourage me to forget WHY I do what I do. I want to always be thankful that I get to make a difference because I genuinely care. My PR skills aren't that great especially when it comes to advocating for those in need against those that forget why they do what they do and for who.

Comment

I agree AlohaBear, it should never be wrong if the intent to help others is genuine and from the heart. If anything we as a community need to embrace and encourage those willing to step fourth in any way we can including a simple phone call to the right place to support those who dare try and make a difference in a positive and healthy way.

There's been some really good things that have happened since the article.
                    Wendy's donated two blocks of Cheese for this weekend, others have come fourth and donated bread, and lettuce. Some of have writen letters to the editor. It all really makes such a huge difference.

Even our Thanksgiving meal of HOPE is gaining it's own HOPE in some people that are offering to help out in many different ways. For those of u who have never experienced the deepest smile of those getting the help, I can't describe to u how wonderful it is. Makes me feel kinda selfish at the end, cause it's such a priceless return.

Comment

what a screwed up, morally corrupt state city and county govmt. we have here.
                      destroying what little 'aloha' we have remaining.

Comment

Hope it's OK to post this here....but Here's a list of what we can use for our Saturdays.........

Food and stuff that we bring on Saturdays and some that we would like to bring out but don't have very often....Mahalo again to u all for ur support and kindness.

Canned goods that are easy to open and ready to eat

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Carrot Sticks

Bread

Lunch Meat

Cheese

Hard boiled eggs

Fresh Fruits

Juice 1 gal size to be mixed

small individual packaged snacks

Lunch bags,

Our Special Wish List.........
                        We are looking for a large portable table that can fold in half so we can transport it with us. Another great item would be a working ice maker. I have a lil bit of money I could purchace a used one if anyone knows of one for a good price.

Also we can always use toiletries
                        old cloths, shoes, sneakers, slippahs,
                        towels, blankets, books,

I think to put it in a nut shell, try to imagine u are homeles for any reason....what would be the things u would want to have such as (food certificates etc)....what u think u would need the most that's easy to haul, and very useful

Our final item on our wish list......
                        A group that would be willing to prepare and serve a meal on a Saturday with us or for us.

Comment

And with the heart of pushing my luck here a lil extra...Now for our Holiday Meal Needs...every lil bit helps big time....MAHALO!!!
                          For more details please feel free to e-mail at Kalona808@aol.com

We normally serve about 600 plus people. So every pan really does count.

Food......

Cooked ready to serve Turkeys

Cooked and ready to serve Hams

Pans of Yams

Pans of Potatoes

Gallons of Gravy for the potatoes and Turkey

Cranberry Sauce

Hot variety of Veggies, ready to serve
                          (The church helps a great deal with that but we could always use more) corn, stringbeans, salad, salad dressings,

Rolls

Butter single serving kind

Tossed Salad

Salad dressings

Fresh fruits, like apples, oranges, bananna's

Bottled water would be great,

Hopefully Star Bucks can come through again this year with the coffee.

Pies .....LOTS of them
                          Whip cream

Any kind of packaged snacks

For our non food items it's the same as the reg Saturadays
                          Plus being this time of the year people can purchase those fast food coupon books which allows us to make sure they have a meal after the holidays as well.

We need plates, serving spoons, those metal foil holders with the cans that u light and keep the items in the pan warm. We have some but probably not enough.

Napkins

Plastic forks, knifes, spoons,

The cartons like they use in food places to take ur food to go

Disposable pie plates,

reg strong paper plates

tables cloths, paper is fine....

Serving gloves

Trash bags

15 tables, plenty chairs
                          We got lucky for the past few years and had a caterer supply, deliver and pick up. It was awesome!!

And for our HUGE wish...MUSIC...We would love to have some music out there.

Our final wish is we try to make a small lil thank u thing such as lei's or a lil package of candies to say thank u to our volunteers that serve and cook. Any help with that would be great

Christmas the Hawaiian Hilton has come out many years
                          They bring tons of food, stuffed toys and volunteers with a wonderful spirit of volunteers. I hope they will continue on.
                          They have been an awesome blessing. Great SATFF!!!

As for our part we just suplliment like what HB did by bringing cloths and books and stuff like that. Plus last year we even had balloons we gave to the kids. That was neat. And the best again was the food coupons to ensure they get another meal after we are gone.

That's a huge list huh? LOL
                          So I hope now u see why every lil bit counts.
                          MAHALO In advance to u ALL!!!!

Comment

Kimmo,
                            I know this sounds a lil nuts, but I do know there are still people in this state that really do care and really do have the Aloha in their heart. I just keep my attention to them. As for those who don't, they get to live with that.

Not a single one of us is gauranteed from ever being in a position where life doesn't hit us so hard that we are in need. The storm of Katrina was one of the toughest examples. Katrina didn't care who was rich or poor, or who was who. I can only hope in the depths of my heart that no one else will have to go through that experience. But like I said there is no gaurantees.

For every voice just as ur own that speaks out against what they believe is wrong, is a voice that dares to make a difference. Just as what happened on our case. We are thankful people spoke up and things turned for the better.
                            But w/o those voices we would have never had a chance to keep doing what we are doing.

Comment

i just wanted to interject here and say that any effort (and i do mean ANY effort) to reach out to and for the community is not only commendable, but also inspiring...yall HTers are a fine bunch and i'm honored to be welcomed among such a gaggle of eccentric and community-minded whack-jobs!
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                                i just wanted to interject here and say that any effort (and i do mean ANY effort) to reach out to and for the community is not only commendable, but also inspiring...yall HTers are a fine bunch and i'm honored to be welcomed among such a gaggle of eccentric and community-minded whack-jobs!
                                Hmmm I can't tell if that was a compliment or not, or if the intent was humor oriented. So I'll just believe it was meant positively for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X