Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    Hey 1stwahine...

I haven't heard from you in a while...

I was just wondering if the Kau Kau wagon was going to be needing "physical" assistance this year for thanksgiving???

Doesn't the Kau Kau wagon normally feed like close to 600 - 700 homeless people on thanksgiving... I'm sure some help could be needed again....

Hope all is good in your neck of the woods.
    I've been around.heheheh

On Thanksgiving Saturday we have more than enough of Volunteers to help Feed the Hungry. It is the many Saturdays after when we need Volunteers. Sometimes it is only Sharon, her son and I who feed the hungry...and I have to grab the hungry to help feed the hungry. Das the truth. They don't mind.

At KauKau Wagon we feed anyone who is hungry. We don't judge nor ask questions. I make it a point to know their names and to touch them. To look into their eyes and tell I truly care and love them. Each Saturday I try to bring a little sunshine into people's lives by singing, joking and just being silly me....they appreciate.

This Thanksgiving Saturday ~ Sharon has given me the duty to go around and doing what I do best...hugging, kissing, and sharing Aloha and Love to the many friends I have made over the last year at KauKau Wagon!

It is an Honor to do so!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha All

IThe Kau Kau is requesting your support for our annual Thanksgiving of Hope Dinner. Every year for 20 years we celebrate the holidays with those who are not able to have a hot holiday meal. EVERY week all year long we bring food, juice, snacks and other needed items.
      Our meal represents more then just a belly full of Ono food.

The value of HOPE is priceless. That moment in time makes a smile in the soul last forever.
      There could be enough ways to say MAHALO to each of you for creating and making this event of hope come to the awesome reality it has been, and will hopefully continue to be,

MAHALO NUI LOA
      From ALL of us at the KAU KAU WAGON

DATE: NOVEMBER 25th Saturday 2006 TIME: 1:00pm Serving
      12:00pm we will be setting up and accepting drops off items.
      PLACE: Gateway Park, downtown Corner of Bethel Street and Hotel Street, next to Hawaii Theater.

****#1 FOOD ITEMS NEEDED:

25-30 Hot TURKEYS fully cooked, sliced and ready to serve
      5-6 gallons of hot TURKEY GRAVY ready to serve
      20 Hot HAMS fully cooked, sliced and ready to serve
      45 hot large pans of STUFFING ready to serve
      45 hot pans ready to serve YAMS
      600 servings of hot ready to serve RICE
      700 servings of CORN hot and ready to serve
      700 servings of STRINGBEANS hot and ready to serve
      15 large pans of ready to serve CRANBERRY SAUCE
      35 Dozen DINNER ROLLS
      70 PIES sliced and ready to serve
      10 cans of WHIPPED CREAM
      600 servings of FRESH FRUIT, Apples, bananas, oranges etc.
      700 servings of SNACKS, Such as sealed crackers, small candy treats, any bagged items edible that do not need to be refrigerated or special stored.
      30 GALLONS OF JUICE OR OTHER READY SERVE BEVERAGE

***NON FOOD ITEMS WANTED:

800 each PLASTIC, FORKS, KNIVES, SPOONS
      1000 DINNER PAPER PLATES and NAPKINS
      700 PIE PAPER PLATES
      700 CUPS
      12 PAPER TABLE COVERS
      15 TABLES and approximately 50 folding chairs
      10 POP UP TENTS for covering the tables
      300 TO GO CONTAINERS
      12 TARPS FOR THE GROUND
      TOILETRY ITEMS
      OLD CLOTHS, SLIPPAHS, TOWELS, WASHCLOTHS,

************OUR WISH LIST**********
      LIVE MUSIC,

FAST FOOD GIFT CERTIFICATES such as McDonalds, Taco Bell, would be great!!! It would allow those we serve to get a hot meal when we are not there or run out of food.

A generator to help us expand the kinds of food we bring. Right now we make mostly sandwiches but more hot meals would be great.

FINALLY THE BIGGEST HOPE OF NEED FOR US IS.............
      ***A SECURE STORAGE AREA OF APPROXIMATELY 400ft, easy to access with our van, where we can store all year round our KAU KAU WAGON donations and operating and supply items.

This year we purchased a few hot dog carts so we can expand our ability to serve the increased numbers of people in need and to be able to provide more hot meals throughout the year.

HAVE A WONDERFUL SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!
      We can be reached at 808 398 6665 Please feel free to leave a message if we are not able to answer your call. . Your call is important to us.

You can also e-mail us at
      KauKauWagon@aol.com

Comment

Aloha Lynn, Candy and Monoa and ALL

Yup we are starting to roll now. I got a lil bit of a late start due to several other things piled on my plate. But I am working extra hard now.

So far we have a group of reg TG volunteers bringing 25 Turkeys. WOW that's so awesome. These ladies come through every year big time.

Basically what we try to do as much as possible is ...those that bring items we have them pass it out. Often we have tons of volunteers on TG day. Wish it was like that every Sat. hahaha But ehhhh It's still great, however it's also a lil bit tough because those that do all the cooking sometimes don't get to serve because there is more then enough people there to serve.

However, we are always thankful to have people join us, so we do welcome u to come by even if just to spread some hope and a smile and maybe even a lil chat with those that we serve.

We will try to create shifts of servers so most will have a chance.
        Like I said I feel kinda bad when some don't get a chance to serve that really wanted to. That's why we have tried to adjust to work it out for everyone. So far this year I alrady have LOTS of people offering to serve only. Eeeeek I need food.
        I'm going to have to focus harder on that part.

Each year I try and find something for everyone to do at some point. Maybe some can bring the plates to those who can't walk well. We have a huge increase of elderly that come through our line. I know they would be real thankful to have a plate taken to them. Maybe even someone to bring them juice.

Call me or e-mail me at the KauKauWagon@aol.com and I will try and find u a special place.
        Lynn ur sweet Aloha ia always welcomed and very much appreciated so bring it on SIS!!!
        Candy ehhh u been with us for years, I hope ur feeling better so u will be out there with us. Kinda wouldn't be the same w/o u.

Mahalo to u ALL for the support through the years. Because of each of u, we have met the number goal of delivering more then just a meal but a meal of HOPE!!

PS If any of u know of a group or people that would like to come and entertain some music and stuff, PLEASE let us know. Last year we were blessed big time with the group Soundettes. They were awesome and really took us to a wonderful level of smiles. The sound system group was great as well. It was awesome!
        I heard that Pali may be joining us for a short bit and hand our the fast coupons like he did last year. That was perfect. It really stretched the meal beyond the day for many.

If u have any ideas of how we can do even better, we're would like to hear them.
        Some ideas have really worked great for us. It's a part of why this lil program gets better every year. I hope this one will be even better.
        Last edited by Kalona808; November 2, 2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Sharon and I talked last night. Last year, we were fortunate to have Live Entertainment. If anyone knows or is willing to perform on Nov. 25 for Thanksgiving Saturday ~ please let us know.

Or...heheheh ~ we can form our own little band for the day?

Any musicians out there?

Let's Rock & Roll Chinatown!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Scoops! Mel's hubby "Chris, Ka'u and Auntie Pupule will be entertaining at this year's Thanksgiving Saturday!heheheh

Rock & Roll Chinatown!

Plus Oldies but Goodies!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Today was going great! We had enough sandwiches, snacks and drinks for everybody. Many came for second and third servings. Mary(AlohaCandy) serving juice with Sharon's son, Chas assisting her. Sharon on Sandwiches while me and onnada guy and snacks.

We see the regulars every week. The increase of new ones continues. We welcome anyone who is hungry. Sharon reminds them about Thanksgiving Saturday every chance she gets. They smile and can't wait.

I noticed a ELDERLY woman giving Chas a hard time and getting to near to him. I asked him if he needed help. He told me he did. I approached the woman and asked her kindly to move along. She started to talk nonsense ~ "I'm pregnant!" I told her, "Yeah, I'm pregnant too!"

She continued to get outta hand. I smiled. Sharon quickly came and reminded me not to hit...I told her I wasn't. I knew the lady is Sick. Been there - done dat.

I turned back to the woman and told her no ack! I know you from da streets. Suddenly, one Mahu I know took her away.

Feeding the Hungry is not all FuN and Happiness. There are times like today. Sharon knows how to diffuse situations the correct way. I know how the Street Way. Her way is the better way. However, I will not smile if the first "Hit" is ever struck upon me.

All Hell going break loose!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In The StarBulletin this morning: http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/16/news/story04.html

Hawaii led states for 2005 decline in hunger

The federal report is criticized for dropping the word "hunger"
                By Libby Quaid
                Associated Press

"WASHINGTON » The number of people struggling with hunger in the United States fell in 2005, the first such decline in six years, the Agriculture Department said yesterday.

Last year, 35 million people suffered food insecurity, meaning they did not have enough money or resources to get food. The number was 38 million in 2004.

Among the states, Hawaii saw the biggest drop in the number of hungry people, from 12.9 percent in 1998 to 7.8 percent in 2005. South Carolina saw the biggest increase, from 11 percent in 1998 to 15.5 percent in 2005.

The department had waited until after Election Day to issue the annual report, prompting accusations from Democrats that the Bush administration was playing politics with hunger."

Uhhhhhh...wat Planet dey living on? I dunno about da odda States but I know wat I see at KauKau Wagon each Saturday as I have been reporting hea...it's getting WORSE!

dAS REALITY!!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Aunty...

You don't get it...! It's because of the hard work of people like you and the Kau Kau crew that has HELPED decrease this number...

If it weren't for folks like you... this article would be reading opposite.

Mahalo for all your good work!

Maybe they were doing there surveys on Saturday afternoons after you guys fed people?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    Aunty...

You don't get it...! It's because of the hard work of people like you and the Kau Kau crew that has HELPED decrease this number...

If it weren't for folks like you... this article would be reading opposite.

Mahalo for all your good work!

Maybe they were doing there surveys on Saturday afternoons after you guys fed people?
                    Nope...but thank you. Surveys do not necessarily tell the TRUTH. In this case...or in KauKau Wagon Wagon's case, the lines are getting longer each week.

Don't get me wrong. I pray hard dat no one will go Hungry. I pray dat the lines will not be longer den the last...but it is. Hunger is a word that should not be taken out when addressing the problem. It is the PROBLEM!

Btw: We still need Hams, yams, fruits, and odda stuff for Thanksgiving Saturday on November 25!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Aloha everybody! Next week Saturday is Kaukau Wagon's Thanksgiving Saturday Celebration! I need your help! I just found out that Chris won't be able to play guitar. If anyone can play guitar or any instrument, entertain, let us A PA system, Mike, etc. please PM me ASAP!

I have FAITH.

Everything will come out A-OK!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

We are still in need of tables and chairs. Please contact Sharon at Kalona808@aol.com if you can Kokua.

As for Entertainment ~ we have one microphone and Sharon purchased an AMP this morning. We're in need of Entertainers. Anyone interested please contact me. lynn.vasquez@gmail.com

Bottom line...I not worried. Going get Karaoke Machine.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          We are still in need of tables and chairs. Please contact Sharon at Kalona808@aol.com if you can Kokua.

As for Entertainment ~ we have one microphone and Sharon purchased an AMP this morning. We're in need of Entertainers. Anyone interested please contact me. lynn.vasquez@gmail.com

Auntie Lynn

Maybe Robert Cazimero would do you a big favor?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Got alcohol? Need alcohol to make machine work right.

Comment

ALOHA ALL

Hope u all a great weekend.

The holiday season is now on heels breathing heavily on our necks. LOL It's that close. But for the Kau Kau Wagon our big TG Dinner is extra close and I really wanted to say THANK U ALL SO MUCH for all the support. I think we're gonna do good.

Right now the main thing left I am trying to hunt down and confirm is table chairs and maybe some pop up tents. Also some fast food gift certificates.
                              Old cloths and toiltry items would be great too. We can never get enough of that.

Lynn is gonna try and do our entertaining. LOL Actually she kinda entertains us weekly just being her. LOL LOVE IT!
                              She and I both put the word out but so far no luck.
                              I bought an amp today and I have a generator I just bought as well so who knows maybe that will help us some. Ya never know. LOL Although I have to confess the generator seems a bit loud to me. Eeeek!

Anyway if u need or want to contact me RE the Kau Kau Wagon, please feel free to e-mail me.

And again MAHALO For everything!!!
                              KauKauWagon@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                Got alcohol? Need alcohol to make machine work right.
                                heheheh.

Sharon going put gas in the generator. As foa da odda kine alcohol ~ it's not allowed...especially, near me when I'm working!

Bumbye no moa ENTERTAINMENT foa Realz!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X